Sunday, 23 November 2014


Agenda for Leatherhead Residents’ Association
Open Social Meeting
7.30 pm on 8 December 2014 at Letherhead Institute in G5

For the first 45 minutes, we would like to welcome and socialize with our guests many of whom play important roles in the community.   We also wish to thank our Road Stewards who are invaluable in keeping communication links open, especially to those without internet connection.    There will be some name labels as you come in and it would be helpful all round if, especially, our Councillors and other representatives would wear them.   There will be snacks, mulled wine and fruit juice available.

Please be seated at 8.15 pm for The Meeting.
1. Apologies for absence.
2. MVDC’s plan for Leatherhead, launched 1st Dec. 20143.
3. Leatherhead Area Partnership AGM, 3.12.14 - Report  
4. Minutes of the last LRA (Open) Meeting on 3Nov (see website for text)
5. Matters arising:
            a. Newsletter (6d)
            a. Closure of Leach Ward at Leatherhead hospital
7. Reports on current actions:    (some printed copies available)
            a. Planning
            b. Environment
            c. Forward Planning
            d. Publicity
8. AOB
            a. Consultations (MVDC service, SCC transport)
            b. Future action

9. Date of next meeting:  5th January 2015 in G6, a closed committee meeting.

Surrey Police: Roadside Petrol Scam

Motorists warned of roadside petrol scam

Surrey Police is warning motorists to remain vigilant following a recent spate of people being conned into giving money for petrolwith the suspects pretending to be drivers in need.
The first incident was reported to police on Thursday, 6 November. The victim, a 64-year-old man from Walton-on-Thames, had been driving along Lammas Lane, Esher, at around 2.15pm when he was flagged down by the suspects stating they needed cash for fuel. He gave them £20 cash in exchange for three gold rings and the suspects promised to repay the money and gave the victim a business card.

The rings have since been established as being worthless and the business card fake.
The two suspects have been described as being smartly dressed, dark skinned, possibly of Arabic origin, having a large build and being around 40 to 50 years old. Their vehicle is believed to be a black Mercedes saloon car.

Two further incidents took place on Saturday, 15 November between 9.45am and 10.10am.
One victim, a 54-year-old man from Byfleet, stopped to assist a man who flagged him down at the slip road of the A3 by the Cobham roundabout. The suspect said he needed petrol to get to Glasgow and offered the victim some rings.
The victim declined the rings but drove to the Sainsbury's petrol station in Cobham whilst the suspect followed in his car. It is believed that the suspect had four passengers in his vehicle.
Having arrived at the petrol station the victim handed the suspect £240 for fuel. The suspect took the victim's mobile phone number, gave him a business card which was later established as fake, and promised to contact the victim to repay the money when he reached his destination. He then got back in his vehicle and left the scene.
The suspect has been described as having an Asian appearance, being around 40 to 45 years old and having a stocky build. He had a moustache and short, dark well-kept hair. He was wearing a white shirt and dark coloured trousers and tie. It is possible that he understood Arabic.

The other men in the suspect's car, which is believed to be a Mitsubishi, have been described as being of a smart appearance and of similar ethnicity to the suspect.
The other victim, a 58 year old man from Farnborough, was flagged down by two men who also stated that no money to get to Glasgow and offered to sell him gold jewellery for £250. The incident took place on the A316.
The suspects have been described as being Asian or Eastern European and having foreign accents. It is believed they were driving a dark blue Saab.

They followed the victim to the BP petrol station on Staines Road East,which is adjacent to Kempton Park in Sunbury, where the victim withdrew £250 for the suspects.
Investigating officerPolice Constable Dave Atkinson, said: "These are despicable offences where innocent people have had their goodwill taken advantage and they have been conned out of money by bogus motorists in need when stopping to help.
"I urge anyone who comes across people acting suspiciously at the roadside or trying to flag passing motorists down for assistance to call 101.

"Similarly, there is a strong possibility that these crimes may be linked and other incidents may have taken place in other parts of the county. Anyone who has been offered jewellery in exchange for money for petrol should contact Surrey Police. Any information, no matter how small it may seem, could prove vital to the investigation and bring those responsible to justice.”

Anyone who has information is urged to contact Surrey Police either by using our online reporting system found at or calling 101 quoting reference 45140096483.

Alternatively Crimestoppers can be contacted anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Wednesday, 19 November 2014

Surrey Police: Country Watch Update

This is a Country Watch message that we send out out on an occassional basis that I hope you may find interesting. 

However please don,t feel you have to forward it on as it's just to give those of you who are not Country Watch members a feel for some of the rural issues we are dealing with. For more information regarding Countey Watch please read our link:-
Rural Round Up.

We urge people living, working and playing in Surrey’s villages and countryside to be extra vigilant, to keep an eye out for any suspicious activity and report it as soon as possible.’ Suspicious activity’ includes everything from strangers seemingly ‘scoping’ an area, to  individuals asking specific questions about, or even photographing, a facility or farm’s processes, to unauthorised attempts to purchase fertilisers, diesel, herbicides or pesticides.

Recent Thefts to Bear in Mind:

Crime Ref:  45140097457. Over the last week an Ifor Williams Trailer was stolen from a warehouse location off the Westcott Road Dorking despite the trailer being locked and chained.

Crime ref:  45140097699. Last night a Red and Grey Takeuchi Digger was stolen from a stable yard in Headley between 22:10 and 22:30.

Suspicious Incidents:

Incident Ref: P14331736. Over the last couple of days a pick up truck with a Reg like TOU97 with a man driving and two passengers, another man and a young girl have been seen snooping around a livery yard in the Headley area.

Incident Ref: P14331790. There have been sightings of a Dark Coloured Mitsubishi Reg L200CDV with two occupants making off at speed from remote locations and lanes near Forest Green and Fourwents Pond.

Incident Ref: P14331813 At around 20:00 last night in Coldharbour report of someone trying to shoot pheasants from a White Transit Van with a Reg something like LD09UND but this may be wrong.

For further crime reduction advice please see our link : -

Alternatively book an appointment for a free crime reduction survey by calling via 101.

And please remember:-
Report as soon as possible with as much detail as you can provide. Tell us if suspects are alone or in a group; if they are trespassing and whether they have equipment, dogs or firearms with them. Tell us where you think they may be heading and where they may have been. What do they look like? Have they any vehicles? Can you safely note the model and registration number(s)? Can you safely photograph the suspect(s)? Always consider personal safety before approaching any individuals. Call 101 to report crime, or dial 999 in an emergency or if a crime is in progress.

Tuesday, 18 November 2014

Surrey Police: Update from our local Crime Reduction Advisor

Update from our local Crime Reduction Advisor Mr Neil Clarke. To book a free crime reduction survey for your property or business give us a call via 101.

It's getting darker earlier now and I have made visits in Mole Valley residential streets where it is quite obvious that there is no one at home in many houses; i.e. they are in total darkness.  Ideally, people should consider having timer switches - both upstairs and downstairs to come on at different times to imply that someone is at home.  Recently, I re-visited a home where the owners had installed simple times to mirror their normal movements around their home during the darker evenings.  Brilliant - but even a light downstairs from 4.30pm to 8.00pm and one upstairs from 6.30pm to 9.30pm would be effective.

Also, dusk till dawn lighting at the front of a property conveys the impression of occupancy and removes obvious shadows where an opportunistic burglar could try their luck without being seen.  Dusk till dawn lighting is easy to install and very cheap to run.

We are seeing an increase in rogue traders preying on the elderly and vulnerable - and that always happens as the winter sets in.  Rogue traders know that they can cause alarm by pointing out a leaking gutter or damaged roof tiles and some people will be concerned that the rain (or snow) might get into their homes if they don't have the "work" done.  I am visiting two victims this week and it is so upsetting when people have been conned out of hundreds of pounds for unnecessary work.

This week, I'm also visiting local hotels and the big message in general to people staying in hotels is:  If you are staying at a hotel, use the safe in your room and don't leave things around as you would do at home and we've seen quite a lot of high value items go missing during overnight or conference stays.  If the items were in a secure safe then at least the hotel's insurance would be likely to cover some of the loss!!

Monday, 17 November 2014

Brake Road Safety week – 17 to 23 November

This  week is Brake Road Safety week (17 to 23 November). Surrey and Sussex Road Policing Officers, in conjunction with the Sussex Safer Roads Partnership will be supporting this week of action by conducting educational and enforcement activities across the force areas. During this week, Brake is asking everyone to look out for each other on the roads, particularly calling for drivers to protect people on foot and bike, by slowing down to 20 in communities, looking twice, taking it slow at junctions and giving people plenty of room.

For further information on Brake Road Safety week, please visit the website:

The Brake team will also be using #RoadSafetyWeek, throughout next week to raise awareness of the campaign.

Sunday, 16 November 2014

Leatherhead Hospital Leach Ward to close by December 1st

I was not intending to post again on this Blog, but I feel I must bring this to the attention to LRA members.

I conducted the act of worship at Leach Ward this morning and talked with some of the patients afterwards. The patients are always very appreciative and I normally come home thankful that we have been of service to them.

But this morning I came home somewhat shocked and saddened. I heard from patients that the ward is to be closed by the end of this month; one of the nurses confirmed this. When I got home I looked on the Internet and found this article.

Staff and patients have been given precious little notice - presumably to minimize time for any opposition; but, understandably, they are worried. Not a nice Christmas present!

Whenever I have taken services there or taken communion to individual patients, I have always heard nothing but praise from patients at the way they are looked after in Leach Ward. I have always found a friendly atmosphere there and never ceased to be impressed at the dedication of the staff. This is something Leatherhead should truly be proud of.

I am aware that the Dorking & Leatherhead Advertiser article says health bosses deny the closure will be permanent; but as many of us know from experience, temporary closures have a nasty habit of becoming permanent in the end. In my opinion the short notice given to staff and patients in the run-up to Christmas is shabby. I hope the LRA takes up their cause and that readers will write to their councillors and MPs.

Friday, 14 November 2014

Mole Valley Have Your Say.

Hello again,

We have had a really strong response to our survey and much of this is down to the efforts of  the people we have asked to support and extend the message.  Thanks very much if you have been able to help with this, and especially if you have let us have your own views. 

As a quick reminder, we are seeking views on a wide range of issues where we have an influencing role as well as on the services that we deliver directly.  This will help to inform the Mole Valley District Council Corporate Strategy, which will be the key framework for our budget and service decision making from 2015.  As such it is a real opportunity for people to tell us what is important to them, and for us to ensure that the choices we make are consistent with the needs and priorities of those who live and work in the District.

There is still time (the consultation doesn’t finish until 30 November) so if you have not had a chance to respond personally, or if you can help by sharing what we are asking with other people, that would really help us to make this as representative of peoples’ views as we can achieve.  You can complete the survey on line by clicking on the link below.

Thanks again for your help and support with this.

Best wishes

Cllr Simon Ling
Executive Member for Finance and Corporate Services
Mole Valley District Council

Sunday, 2 November 2014

Open Committee Meeting. 3rd November 2014

Leatherhead Residents' Association

Executive Committee Meeting (Open).

7.30 pm on 3rd November 2014 at the Letherhead Institute

1. Apologies

2. Minutes of the last (Closed) meeting on 6 Oct (see Website)

3. Matters arising from the Minutes which are not on the Agenda:

      a. 4a                                                    c. 5
      b. 4b                                                    d. 8d and 8e

4. Correspondance:

     a. To Councillor Howard Jones
     b. To Councillor Chris Townsend
     c. From a troubled member


5. Our Speaker, Mr. John Howarth, Chairman of LAP and former Director of Market Towns, followed by a "Suggestion Session."


6. Reports:  

    a. Planning (click link) -  Food Store comments
    b. Environment - Litter pick etc.
    c. Forward Planning - Plan L in general;   anything not quite covered by our                       speaker
    d. Publicity - Notice Board, Halloween, 8b and 8c

7. AOB

    a. Next Open Meeting
    b. Mole Valley Access Group will appear in the Newsletter.

nb.  This posting has been done by the Chairman, Caroline Brown.

Saturday, 1 November 2014


Dear Sir / Madam

Please see the attached information on the Heartstart course.

We are hoping that you will be able to assist us in promoting this excellent opportunity for residents in your community to participate in this excellent FREE 2 hour training course that teaches basic Emergency Life Support skills. The aim is  to give people the necessary skills and confidence to deal with emergencies that they may well come across either at home, in the work place or whilst out and about in the community.

What we are looking to do is get an idea of the level of interest and then arrange courses to take place at the most convenient locations within the community, ideally with the use of venues being free of charge for the booking.

So please let me know if this is something that your community would be interested in hosting at your Village Hall or other suitable venue, then once we have decided on the venues for courses I can speak with the providers to confirm their availability, and then bookings will be able to be made direct with:-

Phone: 07809602722

The courses will be for any resident of Mole Valley  aged over 16 years, each course will have a maximum capacity of 20 participants and will last for two hours. We are thinking that the most appropriate time to run these courses would be a weekday between 7pm and 9pm.

Ideally we would like to plan the first courses to start in December.

Best regards

David Fanthorpe
Leisure Monitoring Officer
Mole Valley District Council
01306 876370

Friday, 24 October 2014

Prudential Ride London

Good morning,

Thank you to those that attended last Thursday’s RideLondon debrief session. It was a very helpful session for us, particularly as we start to look ahead to 2015’s event. If you have any further feedback please do send through to me.

As advised, the date for next year’s event is Sunday 2 August 2015 in Surrey. With plans still at a very early stage we will be cancelling the Thursday 27 November meeting at Leatherhead theatre. A meeting will be set up in the new year to provide a full event update.

Kind regards,

James Taylor | Engagement Manager | Prudential RideLondon |

Tel: 0207 902 0200 ext. 203 |
London & Surrey Cycling Partnership | 115 Southwark Street | London | SE1 0JF | United Kingdom

Mole Valley - New Survey

Your invitation to take part

I am pleased to let you know that we have launched an important consultation that will help determine Mole Valley District Council’s priorities for the coming years and help set the Council’s budget.

Like all local authorities, Mole Valley District Council responds to the changing nature of local government.  We are seeking your views on a wide range of issues where we have an influencing role as well as on the services that we deliver directly.

The survey is quick and easy to complete.  It will only take about 10 minutes of your time and, if you enter into our prize draw, you could win a family ticket for four to the Christmas pantomime at Dorking Halls.

You can complete this survey online at  Please note that the closing date is 30th November 2014.

Your views are important to us.  I do hope you will take this opportunity to make your voice heard by taking part in this survey.

Please do forward this email to anyone you think may also be interested in taking part.

Best wishes

Cllr Simon Ling
Executive Member for Finance and Corporate Services
Mole Valley District Council

Surrey Police - Trick or Treat

Good afternoon

Mole Valley has a limited supply of no trick or treat A5 notices which you can display by your front door or window if you do not wish to be disturbed.
If you would like one of these notices please email
Please include your name, address and the number of leaflets you require

Kind regards
Tara Temple

Thursday, 23 October 2014

Hello … Caroline and all the LRA members

I hope you will enjoy this message and forward it on …
You will probably have seen some posters around Leatherhead for this professional comedy coming to our town next week - as part of the final week of the Arts Alive Festival 2014.  Local resident member Graham Pountney is in it and directs it … as a new venture, reviving professional theatre in Leatherhead, we need your support.   I guarantee you will have a wonderful evening, for the price of a main course in a local restaurant!

The Brighton Argus review said: “… a first class production … an excellent interpretation of the text alongside highly entertaining physical theatre … generously allowing the comedy to spark within the relationships”. 

This is my personal invitation … Please do come and relish a performance, and alert/encourage your friends & neighbours to see this production of Alan Ayckbourn’s Taking Steps – Flyer attached.  It would be SO good to see everyone again!  [There’s no need to be put off by it being in the Leisure Centre: the play is in-the-round, so we have created a complete theatre and the ambiance is terrific!]

TheatreReviver! is a brand new professional theatre company.  It aims to revive home-grown touring theatre and theatre-going in our local community, by performing great plays and comedies with “heart”  using local talent on-stage and behind the scenes. Do come and see this amazing farce, in Leatherhead this month from October 27th to 31st . Take steps to see it if you like laughing!
I look forward to welcoming you to the show!

Box office Tel:   01372 377674

Graham Pountney
ScreenTest Productions
Vectis House
Elm Drive
Surrey KT22 8EX
Tel:   01372 372429
Mob: 07812 047195

Wednesday, 22 October 2014

You are invited to CHIP in your vision for Pippbrook House on Tuesday 28th October 7.30 at Burgundy & Black

You may have heard that Pippbrook House, the old library and before that council offices for DUDC and MVDC, is to be sold. It has not been properly maintained and needs money to be invested in repairs before it can even be declared safe.


You may not care particularly about this. You may feel if the council can get a good price for it, then let it go.

Or, like a growing group of local folk (front page of the Dorking Advertiser 3 weeks ago see attached) you may feel that this is something worth keeping, indeed cherishing.

So what can you do to support this idea?

At this early stage please register your support by going onto the CHIP Facebook page (Community Hub In Pippbrook) or emailing me by return to add your name to the rapidly growing list to say quite simply (or you can add complicated stuff if you like) :
I would like to be kept in touch with developments.

We have a vision and it involves retaining the building, both for local use and as a centre of excellence, for community projects including arts, music, drama, film, business, sports, health and wellbeing (to name but a few) with a much wider reach towards London and throughout the south east, thus bringing in valuable footfall and the kudos and profile that this town richly deserves.

So, we need YOU. We need your ideas, your expertise, your energy and your passion for all that is Dorking. Get in touch in whatever way suits you to register yourself as actively interested in CHIP and please spread the word, especially if you know somebody who has an area of expertise that you know we will need especially at this early stage people who are knowledgeable about, and well rehearsed in, applying for grants.

Tuesday 28th October 7.30 at Burgundy & Black (independent coffee shop at the bottom of St Martin’s Walk) to share further ideas, expertise, experience and ideas before we have an official launch!

For further information (website pending!) call Sally Elias on 07787 566 212, Roger Jones on 07770 887834, Belinda  Hard on 07941 141575.

Saturday, 18 October 2014


Just to say to those who have followed my postings since April 2009 "Good-bye!" The LRA Blog is now a bulletin-board for the Association and, I feel, is no longer an appropriate place for a maverick to be posting individual opinions.

I have, therefore, set up my own Blog and will endeavour to post there at least once each week.


PS: Don't forget the litter pick on the 25th October - see the posting below.

Sunday, 12 October 2014

   Leatherhead Together

Join our community

 Giant litter pick

      Saturday Oct 25th

It's our rubbish - Let's pick it up!

    Wherever you are in the Mole Valley
   with friends, family, neighbours, or solo
       please support the LRA Litter Pick
    Gloves & litter pickers provided. Meet, The Institute 2 pm
          or clean up a patch near you
  Great prizes for 3 'best action' photos (one per person)
  Send them by Oct 31st to The LRA,  c/- The Institute, High St
  Leatherhead KT22 8AH    or email:
  subject line 'litterphotos' (add your name address phone & email)

   This is Phase One of a five phase litter campaign initiated by the LRA
  working with many groups in the Mole Valley For info ph 01372 370 091

Anti Litter Initiative

The Leatherhead Residents Association(LRA) has  launched an anti litter campaign this autumn to continue through  2015.  This is in response to an outcry concerning the amount of litter and dog fouling to which local people are exposed during their town and country pursuits.  When the call for action came, we became aware that both SCC and MVDC have put litter and waste issues high on their list of priorities for Autumn 2014/2015.

The five phase LRA campaign will be carried out in conjunction with MVDC and representatives from organisations throughout Leatherhead:

First Phase
A giant litter pick in scheduled for 25 October-This will combine the forces of Leatherhead volunteers, targeting our wooded areas, riverside, and verges of roads on the fringes of Leatherhead leading into the town centre. We are encouraging those who cannot participate in the organised litter pick to spend a half hour on the 25th clearing an area near  their own home. We will be working with the support of MVDC who will provide collection of rubbish, pickers, gloves and sacks.   

Second Phase
In order to increase awareness of the massive problem litter causes to our planet and in light of the statistic that predicts that our landfills will be full by 2018, we will seek access to local schools via their art classes and expose the problem to fresh, young minds.  A short motivational film or slide presentation or the personal and social education programme carried out in all schools could be used to inspire the two art projects below.

A challenge will be given  to students to become involved in two kinds of art projects-
   Anti litter poster art that encourages awareness and change of behaviour, and
   Works of art made from recycled packaging and paper students collect during the Christmas season  (November or early December) The focus here is packaging and the waste it creates and over-packaging.

Third Phase
Art workshops/classes giving students the opportunity to turn their ideas into art, guided by professional artists or their teachers.
(Late January-February-March)

Fourth Phase
Selection of the best artwork from all schools to become a part of a travelling Anti Litter display. 
The display should inform and challenge the viewer to seriously consider changes in behaviour.
The display could spend time at each school, an empty High Street shop, or the Swan Centre.  (April-May)

Fifth Phase
Another Autumn litter pick (2015) to compare the quantity of litter in the areas targeted in 2014.  This is in way of noting the impact of the campaign.  Our neighbouring community, Fetcham, report to have noticed substantial reductions in successive litter picks over the years. Teazle Wood has had similar results.  Of course, we hope for the same.

Monday, 8 September 2014


Last time I posted, I said I would henceforth confine my comments to Streetlife.  However, after reading with dismay the Leatherhead Residents' Association article in the September issue of the Ashtead & Leatherhead Local, I feel I had better write here rather than to a wider public on Streetlife.

In the article,  the Vice-Chairman writes: "Most responsible drivers respect the need for limiting the parking in narrow streets."  That, in my opinion, is utter tosh.  The Vice-Chairman obviously does not live near enough to the Station to be inconvenienced by commuters.

In July 2010 I write on the LRA Blog: "A month or so back, most residents in the road, a cul-de-sac, went for three weeks without any bin collection simply because the bin lorry was unable to squeeze between the cars parked by commuters on both sides of the road!" Inconsiderate parking had prevented access to bin lorries for three weeks and it was only the initiative of a resident putting up an unofficial "No Parking" sign that allowed the bins to be emptied. See:

At the time those posts were made, the Vice-Chairman was Chairman of the LRA.  Did he not read any of those posts?   Did he not understand them?

When I first moved into this cul-de-sac twenty-two years ago, most drivers did indeed respect the need for limited parking in this narrow street and parking was (almost) entirely restricted to one side. But over the past decade things changed and more and more parking took place on both sides of the road, just as it still does during the week on Park Rise, making that road difficult to drive along.  It has taken a long campaign to get Surrey County Council to restrict parking in our narrow street.  The Vice-Chairman asks whether we need fines to control parking.  Sadly the experience of many of us is that we do.

The article seems to advocating a laissez-faire approach to on-street parking.  Is this the policy of the LRA?  If it is and this becomes known, then I fear the LRA will lose membership not only in my street but in the many that over the years have been plagued with parking problems.  If it is not LRA policy, then what is it doing in the Ashtead & Leatherhead Local with the 'Vice Chairman of the LRA' appended to it?

The bit below the article invites people to join the LRA.  Surely the LRA article ought to encouraging people to do that.  Quite frankly, if I was undecided and considering joining, this article would dissuade me.

Monday, 1 September 2014


AGENDA for LRA Meeting on 1st Sept 2014 at the INSTITUTE

In the Abraham Dixon Hall at 7.30, preceded by coffee or tea at 7.00.

Short address by the Chairman covering future plans, activities, membership and requests for information

1 Apologies:   Fran Smith
2. Minutes August 2014 for approval, linked here.
3. Matters arising:  None
4. Reports:
            1.The Environment Chairman will explain her ideas for the future
            2. The Planning Committee’s report is attached.   (It will not be read out).
            3. Forward Planning Group: For info only:  Together with many other local
                groups, HC is   to meet with MV Chief Executive Officer, Ms.Yvonne Rees,
                on 16 Sept. to discuss the    hopes and achievements of the whole area.  
               (CB will, unfortunately, be on holiday).  

5. And now for our talk by Mr. Peter Mills, the MV Historic Environment Officer.

6. The next Open Meeting will be Monday, Nov. 3 at 7.30  (unless advised differently) in G6 of the Institute.

Saturday, 23 August 2014


The following is from Tim Hall who has been very much on the case for some months:

"Verbal reports from the County Jetter Crew say that
1. They have discovered a blocked Thames Water Pipe between Randalls Way and the drain that was pouring out water.   It had roots in it and may have partly collapsed.   This info has been passed on to Thames Water for further action, although, in the mean time,  the drain had stopped pouring water.   This indicates that the limited clearing by the Jetter may have afforded temporary relief.

2. Pipes and gullies near the railway bridge have been cleared and appear to be working better now.   (25/07/14).   However, there are questions about a Thames Soakaway which need to be followed up when we get the technical report and pictures.

3. They will be returning to do the area from Randalls Way to Springfield Drive in the near future.

4. Written technical reports are awaited.

Friday, 25 July 2014

Open Committee Meeting on Monday 4th August at 7.30 in G6 of the Leatherhead Institute

This is to be an "Open Committee Meeting," so members may wish to come with written versions of any problems they are facing and then present them orally to those present.      This may be particularly pertinent given the decisions that our local MVDC is going to have to make in the near future in connection with C2C* and Plan L.    We shall hold other meetings in this Open Committee format and are also planning a general meeting for the whole area some time in September.   However, it is not only problems which can be voiced but also we would especially welcome fresh ideas for the town and its surrounding highways and rail system.

*C2C = a large report on the area between London and the coast, i.e. Coast to Capital.    Plan L refers to Leatherhead, but as yet there is no clearly defined future project.

Agenda for Open Committee Meeting on 4th August2014
Extra insert: Issues raised by non-committee members attending, which, when heard and understood, can be passed on to the appropriate sub-c. chair for discussion after meeting.   No. 1:   Overgrown path at end of Homelands   No. 2:  Why not lay sound absorbent tarmac on the by-pass?   (from Mr. R. Baddaert)

Apologies for absence, so far, 

Cllr Dixon and Cllr Ashton, Roger Hardwick, Phillipa Shimmin

Presentation for approval plus my ideas for circulating Minutes.   (to be explained)

Matters arising.

Terms of reference – (Possibly the final check, but could be postponed until the Closed Meeing in October)

Future meetings, types of, i.e. Open Meeting with Speaker, Open Committee meeting like 4th August(could have a Speaker in an explanatory role) and Closed Committee meeting.

Content of Newsletter and future ideas for it.   CB to describe.

Increase in Subs and Membership list.   Discussion only at this point.

HC has volunteered to write the article for A &LL, on parking  (N. Street and Highlands Rd)




Forward Planning

Membership and Publicity

Highways:  (cycle path)

Outside meetings attended

LAP on 24th July (CA or HP or HC))

Litter Campaign on 30th July (CB )

Nick Gray on 16th July (HC)

Mr. Goldfinch with HC

Future meetings (outside LRA):

16th Sept HC with many other RAs and Yvonne Rees

Next LRA meeting:  Open Meeting with Mr. Peter Mills as speaker on 1st September at 7 pm - coffee first!